You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Last Chaos Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Vilya

Community Manager (en)

• "Vilya" is female
  • "Vilya" started this thread

Date of registration: 3. September 2014

Thursday, 4. February 2016, 03:02

The Making of a Landing Page

Hello Community!

Everybody knows that we don’t sit in around in our office the whole day and drink coffee (I prefer tea, anyway), even if sometimes some people seem to know better.

But what DO we do the whole day?

If you look at the role of a product manager, or “PM” in short, then it’s a whole lot of different things. Starting from keeping in contact with the developer, over communicating with the other departments to planning of promotions and sales.

One of the thing we worked on recently is the revamp of the socalled “landing pages” of Last Chaos and that’s what I want to talk about today.

What are landing pages?

Well, good question. And what do we need it for, anyway?

A landing page is the internet page, where mainly new players arrive, e.g. when they search for Last Chaos on Google. It is the so called important “first impression”. On this page you can find a short introduction to the game, you can register and download the game client.

Older player usually don’t even see this page, because they are already registered and log in somewhere else.

At the beginning there was the idea…?

The idea to renew the landing pages came up because of another gamigo game. A littlewhile Fiesta Online got a really neat looking revamp and we thought “We want that too!”. And if you look at the page http://fiesta-mmo.com/ you can totally understand why: A nice video in the background, exciting music and a modern, informative interface. What else do you need?

But of course it’s not that easy. Gamigo is a quite big company, too big to just get things done by shouting them at somebody. For such task we have an internal “task management” tool, a platform that helps us to organize tasks and to tell everybody, what he has to do.

In practice that means, that the person that wishes for something has to open one or more “tickets”. Those tickets contain precise information and ideas about the request and can be assigned to certain departments or persons. Those departments and persons then (hopefully) fulfill the proposed tasks. Tickets also can be commented on, picture can be uploaded, you can track work hour and so on. So if used correctly, this system is a mighty tool for efficient work.

The execution

Specifically that means: The project management wants a new landing page. So a PM needs to open a ticket. We already had a concrete idea because of Fiesta Online, so that saved us a lot of planning, of course. Also we had a bit of experience with it, as we did the same thing before with Kings and Legends, which you can see here https://kingsandlegends.com/. After the creation of the ticket, we handed it over to our marketing.

The marketing has access to all materials that, for example, are used for advertising or, if there is none, creates it. In our case that means that they have music and video material for the landing pages, but also drawings and background images that are befitting to Last Chaos. They also take care of the composition of the particular elements, so that the landing page not only has nice little pictures but also that the pictures are fitting harmoniously together.

But as everywhere, here too it doesn’t always go as planned. We found out, that we don’t have any suitable videos. So somebody from marketing came over to our office and asked us if we can record some videos. Because I have a quite powerful PC I was chosen for recording duty. So I sat down in front of my PC at home and recorded some videos of the environment. I didn’t get any good action scene, because I realized that simply recording fighting players wasn’t looking good.

The marketing team of course wasn’t really pleased, but we also didn’t have time for staging an epic fight with the team members (even though it would have been a lot of fun). But nonetheless, they promised us to make the best of the existing material.

From concept to finished internet page

While the video was being cut, the landing page layout was finished and the marketing team asked us PMs to approve it or to tell them what to change. But criticism wasn’t necessary, because our colleagues did a really great job, so we gave our blessing ;)

Of course such a layout doesn’t just magically work in the internet, it needs to be programmed as web site and integrated into the gamigo system. So we send the whole stuff in our ticket over to our web developers, who programmed everything as a testing page for us to test out. Meanwhile the video was finished and we as project managers just needed to write some short description texts for the page, which we did. And after the translation of these texts for every game version by our community managers everything was ready to approve the landing page one last time before “putting it into the internet” and closing our ticket as “done”.

After a short back and forth regarding the web addresses the new landing page made it into the internet.

I hope you like it! You can marvel at it under this address:
http://lastchaos.com/

Fun fact: Except one half of a second none of my selfmade videos made it onto the landing page. Apparently there was some video material on some hard drive after all. But this way the video is a lot more exciting than my videos were!

Best regards

Senph

... written in German by Senph (Product Manager of Last Chaos & War 2 Glory)
... English translation by Vilya (Community Manager of Last Chaos)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Vilya" (4. February 2016, 03:05) with the following reason: formatted

• Go to the top of the page
  • Activate Facebook