You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Last Chaos Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Vilya

Community Manager (en)

• "Vilya" is female
  • "Vilya" started this thread

Date of registration: 3. September 2014

Friday, 5. February 2016, 21:09

War2 Glory : Building a Mission – Part 1

Quoted from "Demadrend"

Creating new Missions or ‘Quests’ in War2 Glory takes a few steps and I hope detailing it here will give you an insight into what happens on the other side of the Mission button!

Building a Mission combines or pulls together a number of different data entries.

Lexicon

Quest Type: You know this as the name that groups a bunch of Missions together, examples would be ‘Xmas 2015’ or ‘Halloween’.
Quest List: Where the magic happens, this is where we build a new Mission and select all the different data that make it work. Where we turn it On or Off, put in the Start/End times, add the descriptions and so on.
Quest Condition: This is the objective of the mission, like ‘Plunder an NPC City’ or ‘Gain x Items’ and etc.
Quest Reward: Seems common-sense huh? But not so. A Quest Reward does indeed give you the Mission rewards, but this is also the place where we remove items, such as for an exchange quest.
Quest Description: Just some fluff text we put to explain the Mission and any background info.
Activate Mission: This is a switch we can use to make the completion of a Mission cause another one to activate. Sometimes we set mission to activate themselves….this is how we get a non-Daily mission to turn back on.

Normally, once a Mission is completed, it can’t ever be seen again.

ID Numbers: Virtually everything in War2 Glory has a unique identifier and for good reason too!
There’s 7 different languages the game runs in, an international team of staff and chinese developers.

The ID no.s are like a universal language, when we decide to add Item: 3671 in a Mission, everyone can find out what that item is….regardless of its name.

=======================================================================

Step 1: The Universal Template

So, when building a Mission, the first thing to do is build an excel ‘template’.
Each sheet of the excel will be for a specific category:

Sheet 1 = Items
Sheet 2 = Equipment
Sheet 3 = Chests
Sheet 4 = Mission Type
Sheet 5 = Mission Rewards

and so on….

The purpose of the sheet is so that anyone familiar with the GM-Tool can look at a template and can build a mission regardless of the language. i.e. I can build missions in Greek despite not understanding a word of it, because I know from the template precisely what needs to go where.
Again, this is where the ID numbers win the day!

Often, however, there will be new data….those things that don’t have an ID yet….oh no!
No worries, we can create new data and assign them a new ID number, but it’s pretty important to use a number not used in any other versions….I’m sure you can understand if I give a new item in EN the same item ID as a Battle Lexicon in PL….well, it wouldn’t be pretty.

Step 2: Let There Be New Data

Each game language and server has its own section in the GM-Tool.
If I create a new Mission Category on server 1, it doesn’t exist yet on server 2 until I copy it there.

For creating missions, this means you have to follow a procedure in making sure all the right data exists everywhere before trying to tie them
together….otherwise you spend ages building your mission just to see it disappear and the GM-Tool shout at you that the‘Cross-World Data doesn’t exist yet!’ - You can't build something consisting of many components, if not all of the components are present.

So, armed with my trusty template, I enter the GM-Tool and select the test-server.
Beginning with the Quest Type, we enter the data for a single server and confirm, and Walaa!

Now I can 'copy' it to the other servers and use it in any new Mission.

Rinse and repeat for the other types of data (Condition, Reward, Item, Equipment etc.)

Step 3: Reference Me! Oh what a lovely day!

How exactly do the Conditions and Rewards work?
Remember how I mentioned ID Numbers earlier.....a Mission Condition and Reward variable is basically an instruction for the server.

Lets take a Condition example....

First you tell it what to look at, level up, performing a certain action, login before or after a specific time, time spent online, etc.
Then you tell it where to look: Buildings, Inventory, Resource Counters, Units
This is how your Mission defines what it is you do to resolve it.

A Reward is kind of similar, we enter what category it will be of, and then choose from the array of options available. I couldn't tell it to be an 'Officer Reward' and then try to add an item for instance. Or to be an 'Item reward' and then try to add reputation.

Rewards also have a Deduct component....when a Mission asks you to collect 10x Intelligence Report Items, we have to make a reward that tells the system to deduct those items from your inventory.
Not only does this prevent your inventory from getting cluttered up with useless items, but is important if we decide to use that item again for another mission, or re-use that mission again.

The ID numbers are used in place of names of things (items, resources, attribute info.), because a name is changeable, or can be duplicated....multiple ID's can have the same name.

Step 4: C'mon c'mon, we stick Together

Once all data exists across the various functions, the Mission can finally be built.
All this involves is selecting from a series of dropdowns the ID Numbers of your Mission Type, Condition, Reward and Activate.

You add in a cool name and description, a helpful briefing and you're ready to create it, make it live, and have our wonderful War2 Glory players fulfil the Mission conditions and gain the Rewards!

Yours,

Demadrend (aka Corps)

... written in English by Demadrend (Product Manager of Kings and Legends )
... English translation by Demadrend (Product Manager of Kings and Legends )
  • Go to the top of the page
  • Activate Facebook