You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Last Chaos Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Vilya

Community Manager (en)

• "Vilya" is female
  • "Vilya" started this thread

Date of registration: 3. September 2014

Monday, 15. February 2016, 13:28

Behind The Scenes: Part 1

Quoted from "Demadrend"

Or…The Process of Updating the Game with new Content: KaL

Kings and Legends is fortunate in that it has had many and frequent updates in its 3 year lifetime. It currently sits on version 2.0 on the English version.

Many of you have enjoyed playing with the new features and new cards, but just how does that new stuff get into the game?

Step 1. Rise of the Spreadsheets

The first step is Translation. Most of you know that the developer is a Chinese company, so the new content that arrives begins in Chinese.

We usually receive 2x spreadsheets, one for the User Interface and the other for everything else.

My excel workbook has a separate sheet for each aspect of the game:
Card Name
Ability Name + Description
Skill Name + Description
Status Name + Description
Guide
Items String (Various pieces of text, like Titles, Event Guides etc.)
Equipment
Booster packs
+ More!

I read a recent comment from the Storytell Event that made a joke of a card that uses an Ice Attack, but was called Earthbinder. "Why are you called Earthbinder when you use an Ice Blizzard attack?" it scathingly stated.

When I receive the Local document to translate, many details are unrevealed:
I don't have a card image to look at.
I don't have the card's Damage type or attibutes (Health/ATK/CD).
I don't know at this stage, what abilities the card has... ...so it is possible that a card ends up with an odd name.

So much of the translation process is guesswork/'guess'timation based on what google translate or other translation tools like Perapera/Systran can tell me.

Then get it in a readable format...

This initial translation is usually shocking, non-sensical and hilarious, however it does give me the raw elements of what I need to make something logical.

The next stage will be to clean the translation up into something that makes sense.

Nearly there, now we re-write it to make it:
a) More understandable / comprehensible
b) Try to simplify it
c) make sure the correct terms are used when referencing other newly translated elements

And finally, re-insert any formatting or HTML.

And voila! The content is ready to be sent back, in English.

There's still DE and FR languages to do!

Part 2: First Update to the Test Server and Bug-Reporting Coming back soon!
... written in English by Demadrend (Product Manager of Kings and Legends )
... English translation by Demadrend (Product Manager of Kings and Legends )
Vilya
Community Manager EN/PL
Homepage | Support|
Facebook | Discord Chat
  • Go to the top of the page
  • Activate Facebook