You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Last Chaos Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Vilya

Community Manager (en/es/it/pl/ru)

• "Vilya" is female
  • "Vilya" started this thread

Date of registration: 3. September 2014

Thursday, 18. February 2016, 13:35

Computer Safety Basics Part 2

Quoted from "Vilya"

Welcome back to the world of computer safety basics!

How do scannerswork?

You can setup the scanner to scan specific folders, or all folders. You can also choose for them to do a light scan or an in depth scan. With most Anti-viruses, you can also choose whether or not to scan heuristically. Heuristic scan is basically the program using trial and error
guesses if a file or program that has been changed is safe or a virus. Usually if it cannot tell, it will quarantine or vault the questionable item and await the user to check it more thoroughly.

Once a file or program is thoroughly checked, the user can then decide to let the scanners makers than the program is safe and to add it to white list, so it does not keep removing the item. Once a file or program is removed, uninstalling and reinstalling will not resolve the issue. The “infected” file or program will still be quarantined by the scanner and as such will remain until the user tells the scanner one way or another if the item is safe.

How often should I scan?

This will depend on your personal preference and online usage. I personally have my scanners set up to run overnight as I sleep. This way it does not create any latency issues while I am using my system, but my system stays up to date on all scans and protection.

Minimum, on a purely personal standpoint, would be once a week to run all your scans. Always make sure your scanners are up to date on updates, this is not something you want to hold off on updating by any means.

Firewalls

Most modems and routers have their own firewalls built in, these are hardware firewalls. There are also stand-alone software firewalls which you can also download and use to keep your computer safe, these are software firewalls. A firewalls main objective is to filter traffic to and from your computer, it will inspect all packets and decide to allow or deny programs and websites by the personal rules you set.

Anything else important?

Well I am very glad you asked. It is vital to keep your computer up to date on all patches for your system. This includes all Operating System
updates (i.e. Windows updates from Microsoft) and all updates for your system from the manufacturer of said system (i.e. Driver updates from the PC manufacturer). I say vital because most of the updates that are put forth by these two places are done as security issues are found and patched. You could leave your system vulnerable if you do not update when they are available.

While there are many other ways to keep your computer safe, these are the barebone basics. Explore your options, read up on the various programs you find and figure out which fits for you and your online activities.

Each person has favorites and scanners, firewalls and the like they will swear by…but their choices might not be right for you.

Good luck and stay safe,
Vilya

... written in English by Vilya (Community Manager of Last Chaos)
... English translation by Vilya (Community Manager of Last Chaos)

Community Manager EN/ES/IT/PL/RU
Homepage | Support|
Facebook | Discord Chat
  • Go to the top of the page
  • Activate Facebook